'Eleanor Rigby' by Douglas Coupland (2004)

Not my favorite of Coupland's books, but Eleanor Rigby offers an entertaining and sometimes poignant narrative. The story felt a little superficial, like he had a good idea but did not mine it for all of its melodramatic goodness. The content seemed to explore similar territory as my favorite Coupland novel All Families Are Psychotic and likewise does not have much of Coupland's trademark social commentary. However, AFAP's narrative felt sharper, better realized, and the storylines more intricately woven.

I read this book even though it breaks my rule about authors narrating in the opposite sex. Due to the content of the book Coupland's lack of a woman's perspective was a little glaring. But it was a quick read and resonated with me on some level, which is something. While perhaps not a masterful deliberation, Eleanor Rigby provides an interesting portrait of loneliness.